Results and Accomplishments
To date the partnership has assisted in the acquisition of 2,245 acres, including all of Mosenthein and
Islands . In addition, the City of
Madison has been gifted 125 acres from
County as well as approximately 600 acres from private industry. The US Army Corps of Engineers, as part of their navigation authority on the island, own an additional 1,300 acres. This places a total of 4,270 of the 5,500 acres (78%) of the island complex in public ownership. The remainder of the complex is in private ownership, and the Trust for
Land is working with these landowners on an on going basis.
In 2002 the Partnership completed a strategic planning process, which calls for 2,500 acres of habitat restoration, including grasslands, bottomland forests, wetlands and slough restoration. The restoration component of this project is now in the US Army Corps of Engineers Section 206 program and is in the second year of planning.
The first recreational trail, Canal Trail, opened in 2003 and sits on top of a federal levee. Additional funds are currently being sought to replicate a 1930 era Toll Booth at the foot of the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge. The bridge once served as the Illinois-Missouri connection for Route 66, and the interpretive Toll Booth will be constructed to bring back the Route 66 theme. This will be the only "hard" facility on the island-complex.